New Year's Resolutions and how to keep them!
Hello and welcome to my first EVER blog. Although, I’m a typist, I’m only just starting on my journey as a writer and I hope you’ll enjoy – and will join in with – my posts. So, here goes ….. (by the way, any suggestions and comments are always most welcome!)
I’ve never really been one to make New Year’s Resolutions or set goals for myself as, in the past, I’ve struggled to keep them beyond the first week. However, “now is the time” …… and now being in my own business, things have had to change.
If, like me, you’ve struggled to keep those New Year’s Resolutions or to reach those goals, I’m sure that you’ll find this as useful as I do. I like to keep things simple and I’m sure there are many variations along the same theme, but I found a simple formula for keeping New Year’s Resolutions and achieving goals and it works for me.
I found this process since starting my own business recently and since applying it, it’s been helping me focus on my resolutions and goals (bearing in mind that New Year’s Resolutions are really nothing more than goals).
This recent article by Andy LaCivita explains the formula very simply. You can read the article at The Secret to Achieve any Goal in 2015 but here’s my brief summary.
The process outlined in Andy’s article for most people is:
– Identify the goal.
– Set it.
– Plan for it.
– Revise it if necessary.
– And then execute toward achieving it.
It’s a very simple approach, but as Andy says in his article, the step people often forget at the beginning (and I’ve been guilty as charged!) is identifying, in detail, the sacrifices they’ll need to make to ensure they can execute it fully. In this step, I think you also need to include any Personal Development needs that you may have. After all, most goals we set ourselves will involve learning something new … if we want to stand any chance of achieving them!
In fact, I’d say this is an essential step in the process and not something that we could think about doing. That’s the distinction I’ve made.
My process now look like this (I am giving losing weight as an anology as most people can relate to this as a New Year’s Resolution):
– Identify the goal – in specific detail (not “I want to lose weight”, but exactly how much weight I want to lose, e.g. 2 stone).
– Identify the Sacrifices you need to make – in specific detail (I may have to give up chocolate, crisps, cakes and (sadly) alcohol!).
– Set it – put a date on when you would like to achieve this goal? (Aim for a date important to you, e.g. holiday/birthday/wedding/special event).
– Plan for it – what action do you need to take in order to achieve this goal? (I may need to do some exercise, plan my meals ahead, do my shopping online and get it delivered rather than wandering round a shop spotting nice things to buy).
– Revise it if necessary – obstacles may get in your way which may mean changing your plan slightly, but stay focused on the end goal (there may be birthday parties to go to, Valentine’s Day, Easter, so don’t beat yourself up if you end up being naughty. Just draw a line under that day and start again the following day).
– And then execute toward achieving it – Go for it and NEVER GIVE UP! (Take baby steps. It may be two steps forward and three steps back, but at least you’re progressing).
As I said, it’s all very simple ….. and it works. You just have to actually do it!
So, off I go to set (and stick to) some New Year’s Resolutions and some goals, and I’d like to wish you good luck with yours. Just follow these simple steps and remember …. NEVER GIVE UP!
I wish all of you a very happy, healthy and prosperous 2015.
Type Like the Wind
For all your typing needs